Demeter®, Biodynamic® certification
The biodynamic farming system is the oldest method of organic farming. It is based on the principles set forth by Rudolf Steiner in 1924 for the production of sustainable, ecological and ethical agricultural products. Protecting the natural environment requires respecting and protecting the social environment, meeting the needs of local communities, and respecting the environment.
Biodynamic agriculture is based on seven basic principles: soil fertility, healthy plants, animal well-being, biodiversity, and food quality. Biodynamic agriculture combines ideals and ethics with the ecology, culture, and tradition of each place.
By adhering to the principles and values of biodynamic agriculture, a producer treats his farm as a living organism that coexists with nature. He strives to maintain a natural balance. The biodynamic system is a collaborative effort between people and nature that creates a living environment in which people, animals, and plants can thrive.
The criteria and certification framework for Demeter®, and Biodynamic® products are currently determined by the applicable standards of the Biodynamic Federation-Demeter International (BFDI). This is a private certification standard governed by stricter rules than those of the (EU) 2018/848 Regulation.
Biodynamic products carry a strong brand name with increasing demand worldwide and especially in the German-speaking countries of Central Europe.
Basic requirements of the Standard are:
- The use of biodynamic preparations (biodynamic compost & spray preparations) each year in conjunction with biodynamic cultivation.
- Assisting the farm’s conversion to biodynamic farming with the help of a biodynamic agriculture consultant.
- The certification process is conducted in accordance with the European Regulation (EU) 2018/848 for organic production and organic labeling.
- In spite of the fact that some of the products produced are not intended to be marketed as Demeter®, the Demeter standard and European Regulation (EU) 2018/848 requires the control and certification of all plant and animal capital in an agricultural holding.
- The certification and control of all production stages, including commercial and subcontracting activities, in accordance with Demeter standards and Regulation (EU) 2018/848.
You can find more information about biodynamic farming on the Demeter website: